Monday, 1 November 2010

A bookish post

It was the Nottingham Literary Luncheon today and I made these bookmarks for the ladies I was going with. They all thought they were lovely, which was nice. I also put in some bookplates that clever Ann from Lovemaking things had kindly stamped for me, as I don't own the stamp set or dies. I used a mixture of In Bloom PTI paper and some scraps from my box with the papertrey ink bookmark die, stitching two together on my sewing machine (a tip from Ann) and adding some fab vibrant orange ribbon.
Gervase Phinn was the speaker at the lunch and he was very, very entertaining. He used to be a school inspector and has written a number of books on his encounters in schools. Here are just a few of the gems I can remember:-
He met twins called Sam and Ella (get it!). A boy called Dwayne Pipe, loads more but can't remember any!
He was at a literary event and didn't have a copy of any of his books and was told that he would need to read from one of them. So he had to go into Waterstone's to buy one of his own books. He asked at the counter if they had any Gervase Phinn books and was told it was pronounced Jeervase Fine and HER books were over the other side!
He was on a cruise and someone was reading a book of his. His wife prompted him to go and introduce himself to the reader. In the end he did by saying "hello, that is my book you are reading" to which she promptly replied, "I only found it here, it isn't very good, you can have it back!".

Here are the handmade graduation cards I received -thanks so much to you all.
From Paula and Lil Daffodil.


From Sue -who doesn't do blogging!

8 comments:

Lisa Jane said...

oh lol.. sounds like a great event ..and so funny.The bookmarks are wonderful as are all the graduation cards you received .
Lisa ;)

Lil Daffodil said...

Hi Lynn,
The bookmarks are gorgeous. I'll bet the ladies loved them. Beautifully done.
Hugs,
Fiona x

Merry said...

Wonderful bookmarks and what a fantastic collection of cards you received.

Cheryl said...

oh such amazing bookmarks,hun bet they loved them great selection of cards,too hugs cheryl xx

Wipso said...

Glad you enjoyed Gervaise. We went to see him in the theatre in Shrewsbury :-) Jo used to work with him up in Yorkshire and says he is just like that every day :-)
A x

kayc said...

What lovely bookmarks. Such lovely cards too! Kathleen x

Stephanie said...

Wonderful bookmarks (you know I love my Papertrey! I also love Ann's blog too) the designs are so stylish :) You received some lovely cards, how lucky to have such kind crafty friends xxx

Twiglet said...

Lol - yes Gervase is as Wipso says - I don't know how he remembers all his tales and anecdotes - very funny.